So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Ishpeck

Re: So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Postby Ishpeck » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Ravil wrote:Ooo, well done on the Mad Cat.
Freebirth.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:44 pm

And that's the last one that came in the introductory box.

Next up, a Summoner.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 pm

It's been 15 months since I bought it and I still haven't finished painting all of the originals from the box set. But then again I'm mostly treating them as test pieces for the pewter ones I've been buying separately. I have a pewter Phoenix-Hawk that I intend to be the pride of my collection since I love that 'mech so much, but I haven't dared to touch it with a paint brush yet.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Also, I really like the Battlemaster. Have you thought about putting together particular Lance of Squadron paint schemes?
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Ishpeck wrote:
Ravil wrote:Ooo, well done on the Mad Cat.
Freebirth.
Lorewise, they're some of the most deadly of the mech pilots. Just don't tell the Jade Falcon Clan that.

The Wolf Clan(/Wolf's Dragoons) would be a different matter entirely.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 am

Ravil wrote:Also, I really like the Battlemaster. Have you thought about putting together particular Lance of Squadron paint schemes?
Mostly I've been experimenting. However I am thinking of painting a Grey Death lance when I buy a few miniatures from those novels.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Namrok wrote:Mostly I've been experimenting. However I am thinking of painting a Grey Death lance when I buy a few miniatures from those novels.
<3 the insane Scotsman piloting the Highlander for the GDL.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 pm

TheDeamon wrote:
Namrok wrote:Mostly I've been experimenting. However I am thinking of painting a Grey Death lance when I buy a few miniatures from those novels.
<3 the insane Scotsman piloting the Highlander for the GDL.
Yeah, I definitely need to order a Rifleman.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:21 am

Got another teaching game in last night. Full rules, Enforcer versus a Hunchback. It ended in the most unlikely way possible. I took off an arm and a leg from the Hunchback, and my opponent was getting salty that her AC/20 kept missing. I offered to let her concede, since that's totally a thing in Battletech. Pilots eject when things look ugly. She wanted to play things out, and the very next turn or two autocannoned off part of my torso and the opposite arm, making me completely without weapons. This time I offered to concede, but she wanted the satisfaction of blowing me up. So we played it out, and I proceeded to jumpjet behind her, and kick out one of her legs. While she floundered on the ground, I managed to land a kick to her head and completely crush it. I'm pretty sure I used the right table for kicking a prone mech...
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:34 am

Namrok wrote:While she floundered on the ground, I managed to land a kick to her head and completely crush it. I'm pretty sure I used the right table for kicking a prone mech...
It's funny how Battletech, by virtue of its commitment to the theme of lumbering/clumsy bipedal tanks, has managed to make its melee combat way more interesting than anything a Japanese cartoon could muster.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:46 am

I'm developing a deep appreciation for how unexpected and story rich a game of Battletech can turn out. Sure, the 8 million charts and tables, along with a stat sheet for each unit, makes the game a bit unwieldy. But god damned if the image of an armless mech kicking another mech, that has it SEVERELY outgunned, to death isn't absolutely hilarious.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 pm

My latest submitted for scrutiny. Tried a wash again and I'm not sure I like the outcome. It just comes out looking too gritty and blah. Maybe the varnish I finish it with will improve that. Not sure.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:15 am

The richness of the colour is really striking, and I'm digging the detail-work.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:56 am

I'm trying various experiments to get better color blending with various techniques I've read about. So far wet blending and two brush blending is out. These figures are just too damned small. Feathering works pretty good if I'm doing an entire arm or leg or the whole figure. But so far my best results have just been using very thin layers of very similar paints to get a slow gradient. Which sucks because my paint selection isn't the greatest since I just started. Although Sarah bought a shit ton of purples so maybe I'll give those a spin soon.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

More experiments in color blending!

I tried some wet blending on the Bulldog tank on the far right. Not even remotely happy with how it turned out. Then I tried some simple layering on the other two tanks, transitioning from flat red to blood red to orange. That works out better. Watched some videos on two brush blending, and i may try that at some point. I'm just not sure I have enough space to work with on this scale to really make it happen.