So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Ravil

Re: So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 pm

That's funny. My first exposure was actually the tabletop game, back in the early 90s, and I remember squee'ing with delight and baffling all of my friends who were playing MechWarrior 2 with my inexplicable knowledge of all of the 'mechs.

Also, I found a few photos of the 'mechs I painted and gave away as part of the bachelor party game:
Codename WAR DICK

Codename WAR DICK

Hatchetman, with The Patriot Axe

The last one my buddy painted, to have the same basic paint scheme as the rest of the team.

I was particularly pleased with the water effects at War Dick's feet. That was something I figured out for myself ages ago, and it works absolute wonders when you've done something to badly delay up the feet or the base of a mini.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Ravil wrote:I spent two months painting up individual 'mechs for all of the players as gifts.
I can't think of a single friend that I'd do that for.

"Paint your own damn minis!"
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Time to strip all the paint off my minis and start over!

I gotta say I'm about ready for a new Mechwarrior game. I tried Mechwarrior Online but it's way too pay to win. Also it's multiplayer only, which is no fun. Then I tried Mechwarrior 4: Mercs because it was released for free once upon a time. Except the voice acting is so amateurish and cheery, it feels like Baby's First Battletech. Then I tried Mechwarrior 3, but it's borderline impossible to get running on Windows 7.

I guess I'm just stuck with Mechwarrior 2 and Mercs.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Don't strip 'em all. I really liked some of your patterns. The Atlas looks really striking, and so does the Awesome.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:36 pm

I do have to admit, the Awesome and the Atlas are the ones I'm most proud of. The Awesome especially is very Chinese Dragon.

I just find myself frequently at a loss about what to do when it comes to detail. Just gotta keep trying new things I guess.

I did order a few of my favorites from MW2. Had to grab a Firemoth, Nova and Summoner. The Nova is especially hilarious when I look at his sheet. 12 medium lasers! And if he fires every single one at the same time, it's an almost certain shut down! I can't wait.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Namrok wrote:I gotta say I'm about ready for a new Mechwarrior game.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_inf ... s_id=64580
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:21 am

Ishpeck wrote:
Namrok wrote:I gotta say I'm about ready for a new Mechwarrior game.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_inf ... s_id=64580
If I still had an RPG group I'd be all in. Alas. Frankly I'm lucky as hell Sarah's willing to play Battletech. Her patience for rules is almost nill.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Namrok wrote:Her patience for rules is almost nill.
Then you've picked an interesting hobby.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Ravil wrote:
Namrok wrote:Her patience for rules is almost nill.
Then you've picked an interesting hobby.
I wasn't planning on playing with her. I figured it was a lost cause from the start. But then she saw me painting miniatures and wanted to do it too. Then she wanted to actually play with the figures she painted. Then she creamed me 4 games in a row, RNG allowing her to take off arms, legs and heads from across the map at maximum range with an AC/20. So she decided she liked it. I think her attachment to her figures has temporarily buffed her rules tolerance.

She's currently excited to field her cute little Urbanmech, which she's planning on painting as pink and purple as possible.

Say that 5 times fast.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Namrok wrote:She's currently excited to field her cute little Urbanmech, which she's planning on painting as pink and purple as possible.
And I guess coloring book content won't have the same buffing effect for RPG's?
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:22 pm

More Battlemechs!

https://sli.mg/nLA9nX.jpg

I started experimenting with overbrushing and feathering. I'm not sure I've quite got it, but I've got something.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Man, those are a couple of steps up already. That Cyclops in particular looks fantastic.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Ravil wrote:Man, those are a couple of steps up already. That Cyclops in particular looks fantastic.
So I gave drybrushing a thorough shot. I'm actually really impress with how it came out, but now I'm not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

https://sli.mg/qnjakQ.jpg

Also, I sized this guy to 900 pixels wide, and now it needs to be 900 pixels TALL too? What is this gulag bullshit?!
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:38 am

Alright, now I'm absurdly satisfied with how this guy came out. I have no idea if it's actually good or not, but I enjoyed it.

Ravil

Postby Ravil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 am

Ooo, well done on the Mad Cat.

I love the drybrush effect on 'mechs. I've also found that dry-brushing varying shades of brown or metallics onto areas such as the feet or the weapons gives a very "worn-out" and grimy look that I really enjoy.