So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Namrok

So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 am

I finally crossed that threshold of geekdom and begun painting the minis from the 25th (30th now?) Anniversary Box Set.

These basically go in chronological painting order. I'm getting slightly less shitty.

https://i.sli.mg/B32D5n.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/qVLyHV.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/ARX5Y4.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/rYiOnV.jpg

And here are the ones my girlfriend did, with her eyes that can properly see color.

https://i.sli.mg/LCNlLW.jpg

Also, the 900 pixel wide limit sucks ass.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Re: So I've been on a Battletech kick lately.

Postby TheDeamon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:10 am

Never played the tabletop version of BattleTech/MechWarrior(as its branded now), did follow the books up until they became "MechWarrior" instead. Was an interesting franchise, and the setting wasn't bad either, considering it was essentially built around a game.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 am

I actually just beat Mechwarrior 2 again this weekend and it really held up. Started Mercs and I'm less enthusiastic about it for now. Tried piloting a Jenner I looted, and I kept getting getting my turgid cockpit blown out by a stray lucky hit. I guess it didn't help with it being thrust so far forward.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:17 am

I have boxes of BattleTech trade paperback novels lurking about somewhere. :)
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 am

Hey, I bought that same box set last year. I'll post some photos from my own painting, so that we can compare penis sizes.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:41 am

Yeah, I had to download a bunch of the old novels... because apparently you can't buy them anymore. At least not in a form that matters, by which I mean digital. Just reading them in order. On the 3rd Grey Death Legion book.

Apparently they also have a simulator for the tabletop called MegaMek. The flame wars around how random the random number generator is got so vicious the topic is now banned on numerous forums!
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:56 am

I like some of the ones you've painted, the glazes look quite good.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:03 am

See, the glazes/washes are actually the part I'm least happy about. I can't figure out what alchemy I need to employ to make it flow properly, and since into crevices and enhance detail. It tends to just get streaky and mottle the surface. And when I water it down, with distilled water no less, something horrible happens and it turns grey when it dries, making everything look frosty.

I've had ok luck using airbrush thinner to help it flow, but I think I also need to use some sort of extender to keep it from drying too fast and mottling.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:51 am

Namrok wrote:Yeah, I had to download a bunch of the old novels... because apparently you can't buy them anymore. At least not in a form that matters, by which I mean digital. Just reading them in order. On the 3rd Grey Death Legion book.
I need to reobtain a copy of Decision at Thunder Rift, it is the only book that is missing from my set of FASA label Battletech books. Always had a soft spot for the Grey Death Legion, though more of a fan of The Kell Hounds as things went before the FASA bankruptcy and the Mechwarrior fast forward to decades later.

For the Michael Stackpole titles, when there are mech battles, evidently he fought them out using the tabletop game before putting it to paper, based on comments he made elsewhere. Also the Assassin he introduced, who will later be operating as "The Joker" for a time, is probably one of my favorite characters in the franchise. ;)
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Damn Ravil, looks like you've actually done that before. I need to up my game.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm

This was my first time painting BattleTech, though I played a lot of it when I was younger and I had a boxed edition that came with just cardboard markers (sidenote: I can't believe what an outrageously good deal the current box set is in comparison -- you get what, 30 high-quality miniatures plus terrain and rulebooks and setting stuff for $50? delay me.). I did some 40K a few years back with varying levels of success, but I transferred a lot of the techniques and some of the color patterns from 40K to the BTech minis.
Ravil

Postby Ravil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

In the summer of 2014 I picked this up again because one of my best friends, who was a BTech fanatic when we were teenagers, was getting married, and wanted a non-strip-club, low-key bachelor party. The best man asked me to "run" a BTech game for the party for old time's sake and I spent two months painting up individual 'mechs for all of the players as gifts. I'll see if I can dig up the photos I took of those, because I was really proud of them.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Teach me your ways. Mine have been coming out so terribly.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:24 pm

The funny thing about only now diving into the tabletop game, is that I'm viewing Mechwarrior 2: Mercs in a totally different light. My first exposure to Battletech was Mechwarrior 2, so to me Clans were Mechwarrior. Then when I played Mercs, I was just annoyed that they took away all my cool Clan mechs and replaced them with shittier, less stylish Inner Sphere mechs.

But now I've been playing the box set, with all it's Inner Sphere mechs, spending the time actually painting them and getting to know them. So when I play MW2: Mercs I'm all "delay yeah! A Commando! That's the first one I painted!"