Man, I miss old ass RPGs

Ishpeck

Re: Man, I miss old ass RPGs

Postby Ishpeck » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:54 am

Namrok wrote:Not even Wizardry was that cruel!
It could totally work if the fights are more sparse and don't last too long. It would be fun to see if short, contained stories could work. May not be appropriate for this project.
Last edited by Ishpeck on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 am

So one thing I've decided to do is have some semi-scripted random encounters. So you know, you get your usual CRPG random encounters. But sometimes, every so rarely, you'll get a more special random encounter with some story elements dropped, maybe drop a key item that might interact with another special random encounter. None of it would be required for beating the game, but it could be a way to keep you from groaning every time you hit a random encounter.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 am

Namrok

Postby Namrok » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 pm

I am so enjoying taking this week off work to grind away on my game again. Took me the weekend of tinkering to get proper inspired, but now I'm on a serious roll.

Focusing a ton on combat, and making it interesting, fun, and just feel good to play. I made sure if you keep hitting enter, you'll take sensible default actions through combat if you just feel like grinding through shit. Although obviously grinding isn't the preferred mode of play. I added attacks of opportunity when you change ranks, one of my favorite features from the Gold Box games. I also added a limit to the number of random encounters, another of my favorite Gold Box features. I added a list showing initiative order for better tactical planning, one of my favorite features of Banner Saga.

I still need to implement the a wait command to delay your action in the order. I also want to allow you to customize what your default action for each character will be if you just mash the enter key. But they will probably be further on down the line. Now that I've added a bit more tactical complexity, I need to begin beefing up some of the things the enemy can do. I gave them some basic threat detecting AI, but I think I need to have them sense a weak target to pick on. Or perhaps have different AI archetypes for different monsters, some that target whoever is pounding them hardest, and others that try to pick off weak party members.

I'm starting to feel much, much better about the feel of combat.