Man, I miss old ass RPGs

Rotten

Re: Man, I miss old ass RPGs

Postby Rotten » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

Buy HOMM 3 on GOG. Has all the charm and playability of old RPG's but also includes a random map generator, and strong strategic, tactical aspect too.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:46 pm

I actually do own that but haven't tried it. HOMM2 frustrated me to hell and back. I kept getting stuck in these deadlock situations where me and the computer hit perfect equilibrium.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:37 am

At our old LAN parties, HOMM3 was the go-to for the players who got eliminated from the melees in Starcraft.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Well, I got motivated to work on my shitty Unity based CRPG again. Almost completely stopped playing Baldur's Gate for programming actually. I finally played to the point where I entered the city proper, and this was always the point where I lost interest. I don't know why. The actual city just feels like such a clusterfuck. I think I'm gonna keep pushing through and try to beat it though.

So yeah, just pushing ahead on my shitty Unity game. Laid out the first level. Reworked the inventory system. Adding more and more encounters and objects you can find in there. Added some more monsters and items and shit. I need to go back and rework some of the simple animations I did. Maybe go back over my terrible programmer art and make it slightly more presentable. Need to work out some system of shading for the dungeon too. Right now everything is fully lit and it looks like a busy load of ass.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Namrok wrote:Need to work out some system of shading for the dungeon too. Right now everything is fully lit and it looks like a busy load of ass.
I don't think shading is super important. But I'm keen on game play even at the expense of graphics.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:30 pm

The problem I'm having that necessitates shading is the texture repetition and view distance. It becomes incredibly disorienting. Like, did you ever play one of those old Doom WADS with a level full of monocolor walls fully lit?
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Namrok wrote:The problem I'm having that necessitates shading is the texture repetition and view distance. It becomes incredibly disorienting. Like, did you ever play one of those old Doom WADS with a level full of monocolor walls fully lit?
Wasn't that half the official DooM levels?
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:45 pm

Well the good news is I got lighting worked out just the way I want it, added a bunch of creative common sound effects to the game, and slew a bunch of bugs.

The bad news is a broke all the double doors. Oops.

Deal with it tomorrow probably.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Namrok wrote:Deal with it tomorrow probably.
Your play-by-plays evoke as much horror as they do jealousy in me. I remember the headache that it was to get any part of a computer game working well. I also really want to make games right now.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Well the good news is, after having slept on it I concocted a simple 1 line fix for the door issue. Then I improved the inventory screen, squashed a few more bugs, built out the spell casting mana system a little more, and then tried to sleep for 5 hours while my mind raced at more shit I should add/fix/improve and how to do it.

I really should just quit my job already.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Namrok wrote: I really should just quit my job already.
You certainly have more such liberty than I do.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:06 am

Well, didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I did get the exploration music to fade into the battle music, and I began the process of saving and restoring your game. That'll be pretty much the last of the basic functionality I want in this thing.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:57 pm

In my continued log of making Ishy jealous...

I've finally gotten around to putting in some save and restore functionality. I should have done this much sooner when the gamestate was simpler, but oh well. So far I've gotten characters, equipment, and world flags being restored properly, along with transitioning to the level, location and direction you should be in. Now I just need to make sure the level state correctly saves and restores. But that should be easier than the rest. Maybe. Possibly.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:20 am

Boo!

Should force players to do it all in a single sitting!
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:40 am

Not even Wizardry was that cruel!

Although I am toying with the notion of save points. Because a part of me likes the expedition approach to CRPGs where you need to preserve enough resources to get back safely.