Windows 10 getting more ads

Namrok

Re: Windows 10 getting more ads

Postby Namrok » Thu May 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Kalledon wrote:
Rotten wrote:I guess I have them on mine. I just right click and "unpin" and they're gone. Doesn't bother me.
I had one pop up yesterday. Not only did I have the option to unpin it, but I also had the option to disable further suggestions. Not sure if that means everything or just that it'll never suggest that one again. But so far it doesn't seem overly intrusive.
I'm sure it'll come back. Being able to permanently disable an ad platform with a simple click defeats the purpose. The ads will push back. Probably in the context of a KB88G0FURS3LF update which fixes the unpinning bug, and adds a few more ads. Like in the taskbar. And next to the min, max and close buttons. And when people complain, MS will claim they didn't mean to release that update yet.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Thu May 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Rotten wrote:Unix was used on minicomputers, not on mainframes.
Mea maxima culpa.
Namrok wrote:I'm sure it'll come back. Being able to permanently disable an ad platform with a simple click defeats the purpose. The ads will push back. Probably in the context of a KB88G0FURS3LF update which fixes the unpinning bug, and adds a few more ads. Like in the taskbar. And next to the min, max and close buttons. And when people complain, MS will claim they didn't mean to release that update yet.
And then when they release Windows 11, they'll brag about how it doesn't come with ads and people will rush out to buy it like the battered housewives they are --- completely ignoring that the EULA will call for them to keep ads unless they pay a monthly subscription fee or some shit.
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 am

For our company Windows has it's own limitations, which is why we are considering a *nix. We run a statistical analysis software called SAS, and Windows cannot handle 50+ people using it concurrently like *nix can. Industry wide, *nix is still in heavy usage.

For smaller outfits Windows is fine, but it doesn't scale well.