Black lives matter people getting run over.

Rotten

Black lives matter people getting run over.

Postby Rotten » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Ishpeck

Re: Black lives matter people getting run over.

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:05 pm

It may just be ironic that an assertion that lives matter is expressed by jeopardizing one's life
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Rotten wrote:Also posted in Fron's safe space.
Good luck with that.

I was just arguing with my girlfriend over this. I don't think blocking highways is a legitimate form of protest. She did. Because she learned that it was in school. To which I could only reply "You learned it in school... that explains a lot."
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Namrok wrote:
Rotten wrote:Also posted in Fron's safe space.
Good luck with that.

I was just arguing with my girlfriend over this. I don't think blocking highways is a legitimate form of protest. She did. Because she learned that it was in school. To which I could only reply "You learned it in school... that explains a lot."
It's not legitimate. If you want to talk about civil disobedience, try doing something that doesn't endanger or inconvenience the public.

People lives are at stake when you block traffic.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Rotten wrote:It's not legitimate. If you want to talk about civil disobedience, try doing something that doesn't endanger or inconvenience the public.
You mean "inconvenience" in the 18th century sense? In that they make it impossible for somebody to both live their life and meet their demands at the same time?
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Blocking traffic can impede the ability of emergency services to arrive at locations where they're needed.

Generally if you want to protest, and traffic is going to be blocked by your doing so, you get a permit, then the police will likely block traffic for you, much safer for all involved. If they reject your permit, then you might have grounds to go further.

Otherwise, yikes, they're idiots who should be up for Darwin Awards. Even standing next to a tractor trailer in the breakdown lane on a freeway with a high visibility vest on and flashers going in daylight. Being on the "traffic sides" of that truck with any profile presented to active traffic is not something on my to do list, any time of day, any weather for any significant amount of time. You're just asking to die pulling that kind of stunt.