DNC convention meltdown

Rotten

DNC convention meltdown

Postby Rotten » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Holy crap, Trump may win after all. Dunno if I'm excited, amused, or scared.

He's winning in the RCP average, big time now.
Ishpeck

Re: DNC convention meltdown

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Yeah, I don't imagine any half serious statist wanting to encourage Hillary in all her shenanigans
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Rotten wrote:Holy crap, Trump may win after all. Dunno if I'm excited, amused, or scared.

This is his bump week. Check back about 4 weeks after the DNC finishes theirs, as Hillary is going to bump next week.
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:58 am

TheDeamon wrote:
Rotten wrote:Holy crap, Trump may win after all. Dunno if I'm excited, amused, or scared.

This is his bump week. Check back about 4 weeks after the DNC finishes theirs, as Hillary is going to bump next week.
We'll see. Considering how moribund Trump's campaign is, it's amazing he's even this close.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Rotten wrote:We'll see. Considering how moribund Trump's campaign is, it's amazing he's even this close.
Hasn't everything about Trump's campaign been a bit of a surprise?
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Every talks about the convention bump hat candidates "always" get.

And yeah, the RNC was a tad bit of a shit show. Had some really bizarre speakers. A #NeverTrump last stand. But at the end of the day, Trump gave a good final speech, and just generally put on a good performance at the end. It's all anybody remembers now.

Personally I think the DNC is even more of a shit show, with the email scandal, Sander's supporters booing everyone off the stage. But I'll be generous and say it's only as much of a shit show as the RNC.

Hillary still needs to give a moving and powerful speech at the end to wipe the slate clean. And somehow I just sincerely doubt that's in her skill set. Every time she's exposed to the public, people remember why they just really just don't want a president anymore. At least Trump excites his base. Even Hillary's own base isn't excited at the prospect.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Ishpeck wrote:
Rotten wrote:We'll see. Considering how moribund Trump's campaign is, it's amazing he's even this close.
Indeed. I'm still torn on who to vote for, or if I even want to bother this year. But I'm starting seriously to think Trump may pull it off and win, yes I know I previously outlined the how and why for the means that it could happen under, but actually seeing it happen...

Which is mind boggling in a number of other ways. I still think he was a plant, and he's supposed to throw the election, so wrapping my mind around what his presidency would look like just confuses the Hell out of me.
Rotten

Postby Rotten » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:31 am

TheDeamon wrote:
Ishpeck wrote:
Indeed. I'm still torn on who to vote for, or if I even want to bother this year. But I'm starting seriously to think Trump may pull it off and win, yes I know I previously outlined the how and why for the means that it could happen under, but actually seeing it happen...

Which is mind boggling in a number of other ways. I still think he was a plant, and he's supposed to throw the election, so wrapping my mind around what his presidency would look like just confuses the Hell out of me.
I don't know who to vote for. Either Trump or Johnson at this point, personally. Not that I would ever "support Trump". He cannot keep his mouth shut and I'm partially frightened of aspects of a Trump Presidency. But the same thing goes for Hillary too.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:48 am

Rotten wrote:I don't know who to vote for. Either Trump or Johnson at this point, personally. Not that I would ever "support Trump". He cannot keep his mouth shut and I'm partially frightened of aspects of a Trump Presidency. But the same thing goes for Hillary too.
In all my enfranchised life, I recall more times when the sentiment among voters was "vote for X because delay Y." It makes me wonder how much happier people would be if they could choose to cast -1 votes for a candidate they hated. Maybe when you registered to vote, you could tick a box that said "opt me into the anti-vote lottery" and there's some chance that your vote could only hurt one candidate without bringing another candidate up.

I wonder how different campaigns would be if this were possible.
TheDeamon
Site Admin

Postby TheDeamon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

Rotten wrote:I don't know who to vote for. Either Trump or Johnson at this point, personally. Not that I would ever "support Trump". He cannot keep his mouth shut and I'm partially frightened of aspects of a Trump Presidency. But the same thing goes for Hillary too.
I'm less concerned about Trump because if he behaves as advertised(which I doubt), he will trigger a nearly immediate constitutional crisis, and likely remove himself from the equation as a result.

Hillary on the other hand will stop short of triggering a crisis, but will work just as hard to undermine it. So I'd just as soon just rip the bandaid off than let things turn septic.

If Trump doesn't behave as advertised is where things get hairy quick. As that turns him into a nearly complete wildcard, which can be it's own kind of bad. With that in mind, I'm not certain I want to be in a position to say I voted for him, hoping he'd get booted out by Congress.
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Well, I finally caught up and watched Hillary's acceptance speech. It was about the sort of pablum I expected. I'm not a fan of all the stronger together talk, because it's really just "Do shit for me" talk. She's trying to claim America was always about working together, but I always through America was always about a very individualistic can do spirit.

But what really turned me off was her talking about making it easier for small businesses to borrow money. Because when Democrats made it easier to borrow money for a mortgage, it nearly blew up our entire economy decades later. And when Democrats made it easier to borrow for college, now everyone is complaining about the crushing cost of college debt that can't be discharged during bankruptcy. And now they want to do the same thing with small business.

Lets just keep fucking printing money for everyone.

Take the appropriate steps to protect your assets.
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Namrok wrote:Lets just keep fucking printing money for everyone.

Rotten

Postby Rotten » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

Ishpeck wrote:
In all my enfranchised life, I recall more times when the sentiment among voters was "vote for X because delay Y." It makes me wonder how much happier people would be if they could choose to cast -1 votes for a candidate they hated. Maybe when you registered to vote, you could tick a box that said "opt me into the anti-vote lottery" and there's some chance that your vote could only hurt one candidate without bringing another candidate up.

I wonder how different campaigns would be if this were possible.
Quite the novel idea actually. But then who would win with multiple candidates? Just have elimination rounds until one candidate wins?
Ishpeck

Postby Ishpeck » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:35 am

Rotten wrote:Quite the novel idea actually. But then who would win with multiple candidates? Just have elimination rounds until one candidate wins?
The bare majority winner as always. In case of an even split of electoral votes, you follow the Constitutional procedure as it exists today.

Unrelated: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... -forecast/
Namrok

Postby Namrok » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, more heads from the DNC have rolled over the wikileaks.

I just can't believe the staggering arrogance of Hillary Clinton. She's not even trying to hide her corruption anymore. Because she knows that any consequences visited upon her just allow Trump to get elected, and nobody is going to let that happen. Everyone has to hand the election to her, no matter what she does.

Like this Debbie Wasserman Schultz shit. She resigns over the wikileaks, and in less than 24 hours Clinton hires her on. Didn't even wait until after she's elected. Or set her up with a cushy job through a Clinton Foundation donor. Didn't even try to maintain a little respectable distance so that her allies in the media can handwave away what happened. Just blatant in your face corruption. And she doesn't give a shit, because she knows there will be no consequences.

It's like she's holding the country hostage. And we have to let her get away with anything she wants, or the world gets it! Only way out is to call her bluff, and let everyone suffer the consequences, so long as some are still visited on her. She thinks I won't cut off my nose to spite my face! I'll show her!